Monday, April 4, 2016

21 Day Fix Zucchini Taco Boats!

Squash is one of my favorite carb replacements! There are so many varieties, and they take on almost any flavor you pair them with.  I prefer to eat my carbs early in the day, so I'm always on the hunt for lower carb dinner recipes.  This is by far one of my favorites!  I searched for the perfect recipe, but inevitably chose to wing it.  Luckily, I'm getting better at writing things down as I go.. so you may check out the recipe after the jump!
 Enjoy!

*not pictured- the cilantro I forgot to add before I took the picture.  = [



For Taco Seasoning-
2 tsp Chili powder
1.5 tsp Paprika
2 tsp. Cumin
1 tsp Onion powder
1 tsp Garlic powder
.5 tsp sea salt
Dash of cayenne pepper

Taco Boats-
1 lb. Ground Turkey
3 md-lg Zucchini
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 med. Onion
.5-1 cup salsa
Shredded cheddar cheese
Greek Yogurt
Cilantro

Directions-

For Taco Seasoning-
Mix all the ingredients well, set aside.

Taco Boats-
Preheat oven to 400

Cut the ends off the zucchini & then slice them in half lengthwise.
Scoop out the guts of the zucchini to form your "boats".
Place the zucchini cut side up into a baking dish.
Rub the cut side with olive oil & sprinkle with sea salt.
Set aside.

Heat a large skillet with 1 tsp of olive oil.
Add onions, saute until translucent.
Add ground turkey & taco seasoning, brown until thoroughly cooked.

Fill each zucchini boat with taco meat.
Spoon salsa over the meat.

Bake covered with foil for 15 mins.
Remove foil and bake for 10-15 more mins.
Sprinkle with shredded cheese & return to oven to melt.

Serve topped with a dollop of Greek yogurt, salsa, and freshly chopped cilantro!

**If you are 21 Day Fixing:
1 red, 2 green, 1 blue
1 serving = 3 boats. This could vary depending on the size of zucchini, so use your own judgment.

I used my red container to measure the meat while filling the boats. I was able to fill 3 with one red container. You could use the blue container to measure out the cheese in the same manner. 
The salsa used is not enough to be considered a purple container, I count it as a freebie- same goes for the Greek yogurt.






No comments :

Post a Comment